Rep. Katie Hill Announces Resignation With 'Broken Heart'


California U.S. Rep. Katie Hill announced her resignation Sunday, as she faced an ethics investigation into an alleged relationship with a staffer. 

"It is with a broken heart that today I announce my resignation from Congress," the California Democrat wrote in a resignation letter posted to her Twitter account. "This is the hardest thing I have ever had to do, but I believe it is the best thing for my constituents, my community and our country."

The announcement follows public relevations of an alleged relationship with a campaign staffer. In addition, several news outlets published intimate photos of Hill as part of their reporting on the alleged affair. Hill, who is currently seeking a divorce from her husband, has said U.S. Capitol Police are "investigating the situation and potential legal violations."

[[563953101, C]]

"During the final tumultuous years of my abusive marriage, I became involved in a relationship with someone on my campaign. I know that even a consensual relationship with a subordinate is inappropriate, but I still allowed it to happen despite my better judgment," Hill wrote in a statement sent to supporters last week.

Hill has denied a separate allegation that she engaged in a relationship with a member of her congressional staff. 

Hill is a first-term House member who identifies as bisexual and was considered a rising star in the Democratic party.

This is a developing story. Please check back for updates.



Photo Credit: CQ-Roll Call, Inc via Getty Imag
This story uses functionality that may not work in our app. Click here to open the story in your web browser.

from NBC New York - Top Stories false
Rep. Katie Hill Announces Resignation With 'Broken Heart' Rep. Katie Hill Announces Resignation With 'Broken Heart' Reviewed by nice on 4:38 PM Rating: 5

No comments:

Business

Powered by Blogger.